Chahine Why (Episodes)
- Release Date: 2009
- Type: Documentary
- Run time: Varying
- Directed by: Mona Ghandour
- Produced by: N/A
- Subtitles: Varying
• THE MAGIC OF MUSIC (SEHR EL MAGHNA)) – Part I, II, III, IV, V, VI,
Taking a look at all the musical performances Youssef Chahine’s films from his very first to his final. (episode 1, English, Episode 6 English)
• TALKING POLITICS (KALAM FIL SIYASSA) – I, II, III
Youssef Chahine’s points of view on political events that have taken place throughout the entirety of his cinematic history. (Episode 1, 2, 3 – English)
• THE BEGINNINGS (El BEDAYAT) I, II, III
Focus on the first films that Youssef Chahine directed after his return from the United States.
• YOUR LIGHT ON ME IS ENOUGH (KEFAYA NOURAK ALAYA) I, II
Youssef Chahine discusses the art of cinematography.
• A QUESTION OF CINEMA (SOAAL FEL CINEMA) I, II
Part One sees Youssef Chahine discussing his own films.
In Part Two he talks about his students; Yousry Nasrallah, Radwan El Kashef and Khaled El – Hagar, among others, who he felt were courageous enough to make auteur films and whom he produced work.
• WHAT IS LOVE (EH HOWA EL HOB)
Focusing on love in Youssef Chahine films and his relationship with sex and gender.
• I SAW HIM DANCE (SHOFTO BYORKOS)
Youssef Chahine discusses his relationship with dance and choreography and various choreographers discuss their relationship with Youssef Chahine. (English and French subs)
Youssef Chahine on Hamlet. (English and French Subs)
• THE ACTOR (EL MOMASSEL) Discussing Youssef Chahine’s relationship with actors.
• THE DIRECTOR –(EL MOKHREG)
Focusing on Youssef Chahine’s as director and his relationship with the crew.
• NEW FACES – (EL WEGOUH EL GEDIDA)
Exploring Youssef Chahine’s skill in discovering new, fresh talent and his ability to transform them into cinematic stars.
• THE SCENARIO (EL SCENARIO)
Youssef Chahine’s relationship with the scenario and his writing.
• THE EYES (EL EYOUN) (English subs)
Understanding Youssef Chahine’s love for expressive eyes and his belief that it is the most powerful tool actors have to be believed. His conviction that they eyes must speak before the actors do.
• THE END OF PASSION (NEHAYAT EL WALA)
Understanding Youssef Chahines relationship with actor Mohsen Mohideen.
• KENAWY (English subs)
Discussing Cairo Station and the character of Kenawy whom Youssef Chahine performed.
• HISTORY FROM HISTORY – TARIKH MIN TARIKH
Looking at the historical films made by Youssef Chahine, including: Jamila, the Algerian, Ennaser Salahelddine, The Emigrant (Al Mohager) and Adieu Bonaparte (Al Wedaa Ya Bonaparte).
• THE MAD ONE – EL MAGNOON (English subs)
Exploring Youssef Chahine’s madness.
• LISTEN TO MY HEART (ESMAA ALBY) (English Subs)
Youssef Chahine discusses his relationship with music and composition while the composers and musicians discuss his fierce musical ear.
• THE TEACHER (EL OUSTAZ)
Exploring Youssef Chahine’s relationship with his students and his impact on them.
• BETWEEN THE PEN AND THE CUT (CHAHINE BEIN EL QALAM WEL MAKASS)
Youssef Chahine discusses his relationship with censorship and critics.
• EXILE (MAWAL EL GHORBA)
Although of Lebanese origin, Youssef Chahine has always felt that his heart and soul belong to Egypt, this film discusses that.